Manager, Clinical Accounting
Location: Emeryville, CA
The Manager, Clinical Accounting will be responsible for managing the financial accounting close of all clinical trial related accounting including the day to day accounting, the preparation of general ledger entries, account reconciliations, financial statement analysis, and coordinating and managing clinical operations review meetings. In addition to the areas related to clinical, the Accounting Manager, Clinical & Operations will provide support in the areas of the accounting system maintenance, accounts payable reviews, and financial management reporting. The Manager, Clinical Accounting is the key liaison between Finance and Clinical Operations team and will be the finance lead in preparing the Clinical accounting close process, Clinical account analyses and ad hoc projects.
- Key contact with Clinical team in tracking Clinical programs and related contract and payment activities
- Maintain/create accrual models for clinical trials incorporating updates/changes in contracts and site activity data. Ensure high quality of accruals with attention to detail and accuracy of calculations
- Responsible for leading and managing the monthly, quarterly and annual financial close including analysis of financial data and contracts related to Clinical Operations:
- Work closely with the Clinical team in creating and providing suggestions to the clinical contract tracker, monitoring and tracking clinical contracts and change orders
- Provide account coding guidance to Accounts Payable for Clinical related vendor invoices and ensure accuracy.
- Monitor cash disbursements to ensure they are timely and compliant with the Company's policies and procedures
- Coordinate with CRO vendors to obtain timely cost accrual information
- Prepare monthly Clinical related journal entries
- Reconcile and maintain all Clinical accounts
- Analyze clinical activities for management reports as needed
- Lead the mid-quarter meeting with CRO vendors and quarterly clinical review meetings with internal Clinical Ops team
- Prepare support for financial statement audit requests, and respond to inquiries from external auditors
- Responsible for internal and external audit requirements related to clinical.
- Prepare supporting documentation for SOX and SEC filings as needed.
- Be a backup system admin to accounting systems (Great Plains, Management Reporter, Coupa).
- Assist in developing and improving operational procedures and establishing process efficiencies/ improvements
- Accounts Payable batch review oversite of R&D departments; back-up Accounts Payable batch review for all other departments
- Support other finance / ad hoc projects as necessary
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting/related field, or equivalent experience
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience
- Life science company experience
- Excellent people and project management skills
- Great Plains experience preferred
- Advanced Excel skills required
- Strong verbal and written skills required
- Demonstrated the ability to identify organizational opportunities and to effectively implement new processes and internal controls preferred