Animal Research Technician (Temporary)
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Department: R&D Product Development - Fintepla
Zogenix is a growing commercial biotechnology company with a mission to deliver breakthrough therapies for orphan diseases. We have an exciting opportunity for an animal research Associate / Technician to join our team focused on the in vivo characterization of therapeutic candidates and developing the necessary animal disease models for establishing efficacy. The Associate will work in a collaborative, supportive team environment and initially report to the Executive Director of Translational Research.
The successful applicant will be proficient in testing therapies in animal models of disease, in particular animal dosing and tissue harvesting. Duties include the daily care of research animals for experimental purposes, dosing of animals (ip, iv, sc, and po), and collecting the organ samples (bleeding i.e., tail or retro-orbital bleeding, or cardiac bleeding and extracting organ tissues). All work will involve the direct handling of laboratory mice. The candidate is also required to work in a barrier facility and wearing proper PPE.
Ability to do standard cell culturing and molecular biology is a plus. Experience in the metabolic or mitochondrial disease space is a plus.
This is a temporary position for a minimum of 4 months with potential for extension. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
Technical Skill Requirements
- Proficient in animal care, breeding, genotyping and drug dosing
- Organ harvest and tissue preparation
- Kind and humane in working with animals involved in scientific research
- Ability to perform all work in accordance to AAALAC standards and Company SOPs & policies
Technical Skill Preferences
- Experience with culturing immortalized cell lines
- Experience with molecular biology techniques (qPCR and Westerns)
- Experience with metabolic or mitochondrial disease models
Computer Skill Requirements
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- Conscientious, observant with excellent recordkeeping skills
- Enthusiastic and motivated personality
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to have flexible work hours, including partial weekend work if needed
- High school degree or equivalent with certification, college degree preferred
- AALAS certification (ALAT or higher) preferred