Location: Emeryville, CA
Reporting to the Controller, the Assistant Controller is “hands on” position with direct responsibility for leading financial close activities including day-to-day accounting operations, preparing financial statements, supporting financial audits, and ensuring compliance with internal controls, financial standards, and regulations.
- Oversee and manage certain accounting operations to ensure compliance with GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) requirements:
- Accounts payable, inter-company and general ledger functions, including material research & development areas, e.g., clinical trials.
- Foreign subsidiary disbursement and other financial information.
- Direct the monthly close process for multiple areas, including review of journal entries, balance sheet account reconciliations and analytical review procedures, including analysis of trended profit and loss statements.
- Assist in the evaluation and ensure adherence of SOX controls.
- Support the management and preparation of consolidated financial statements, including balance sheet, statement of operations, and statement of cash flow.
- Responsible for leading the monthly, quarterly and annual financial close by evaluating and executing critical accounting processes related to pre-clinical, clinical trials accounting, external manufacturing, supply chain:
- Key contact with the R&D departments in tracking the R&D programs and related contract and payment activities
- Overseeing all R&D accounting including pre-clinical and clinical trials activities
- Work closely with the Clinical team in ensuring the clinical contract tracker is complete and accurate by monitoring and tracking clinical contracts and change orders
- Assume responsibility of reviewing significant R&D contracts to provide technical accounting guidance on proper accounting
- Review and analyze invoices, contracts, and reconcile data to POs, budgets, and/or work orders to ensure the appropriate accounting treatments
- Lead the mid-quarter meeting with CRO vendors and quarterly R&D departmental review meetings with internal business owners
- Primary contract for financial statement audit requests, and respond to inquiries from internal and external auditors related to Non-Clinical and Clinical activities
- Interact with external auditors and manage staff priorities leading to the timely completion of the company’s quarterly review and annual audit.
- Develop operational procedures and enhance process efficiencies through automation and elimination of process redundancies.
- Provide regular performance feedback, development, and managerial support to employees with overall responsibility of leading, training, and mentoring for effective performance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field, CPA preferred
- 10+ years of experience with at least 5 years of experience in a public company
- Pharmaceutical or Biotech industry experience strongly preferred
- 5+ years of experience managing, developing, and mentoring staff
- Subject matter expertise in Sarbanes Oxley and internal controls over financial reporting required
- Experience with NetSuite preferred
Core Competencies, Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Demonstrated success in utilizing analytical, planning, project and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about the role of finance and accounting in supporting the company’s strategy
- Demonstrated success building relationships across all levels within an organization, especially in the mentoring of direct team members.
- Independent and proactive self-starter who operates with a strong sense of ownership for projects and results, excellent business judgment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize effectively to deliver results within reasonably established timelines
- Comfortable collaborating effectively within a dynamic, fast-paced, rapid-growth environment.