Sr. Vice President, Commercial, United States
Location: Emeryville, California
Zogenix is a global pharmaceutical company committed to developing and commercializing transformative therapies to improve the lives of patients and their families living with rare diseases.
The SVP/Head of US Commercial Operations will serve as a key member of the global operational leadership team. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to operate at the executive level and effectively apply their experience and knowledge to enhance capabilities and optimize performance of US commercial operations. This leader will focus their efforts on providing maximum access to the company’s therapies to patients in NA and creating outstanding value for the company’s shareholders.
Essential Duties and responsibilities
- Build, guide and lead the US commercial organization to achieve success through launching and commercializing the company’s rare disease products.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive, rational and cohesive marketing plan across the relevant range of customer segments; support the continued advancement of future marketing strategies.
- Develop, successfully implement, and drive the commercial strategy
- Ensure the organization is prepared for upcoming product launches and has the appropriate infrastructure in place.
- Lead the US Commercial organization to achieve revenue targets; hold profit and loss accountability; achieve commercial business objectives.
- Ensure that eligible patients are identified and have access to our products; overcome implementation hurdles should they arise.
- Develop strategies for critical areas, including pricing, market access and reimbursement.
- Interface with commercial colleagues in the other regions
- Collaborate with Business Development to identify and evaluate external opportunities that advance the strategic position/capabilities of the company.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key opinion leaders, customers, including representatives of local/regional healthcare systems, payors and industry associations to identify opportunities which enhance product line performance and maximize product line earnings.
- Provide collaborative business leadership to all allied functions, including but not limited to Manufacturing, R&D, Medical Affairs, and Finance.
- Recruit, hire and develop outstanding leadership talent for critical functions in the region
- Maintain industry awareness regarding market trends, competitive dynamics, product acceptance, and new product releases.
- Maintain a high level of respect, professionalism and confidentiality
- Serve on the Global Operational Leadership team and acts as the primary proxy for the Chief Operating Officer when required
- Direct Commercial Change Management and Project Management resources to ensure sustainable Commercial change and ensure that new products are launched to maximize the intended impact
- Ensure that Commercial talent is continually developed, with emphasis placed on critical competency development and enablement
Experience, Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Demonstrated experience in the conception, development and execution of marketing strategies for specialized products, especially in rare diseases
- Experience building/leading/developing high performance commercial teams; a minimum 15+ years in executive commercial leadership roles, ideally with a combination of large and medium-sized specialty pharma companies.
- A blend of country, Business Unit, regional and/or international marketing and general management roles with P&L experience.
- Experience successfully managing pre-launch preparation and market launch execution preferably with first-in-class specialty products; proven life cycle management capabilities.
- Experience working in a cross functional role, requiring leadership via influence rather than direct authority.
- Proven track record of performance; consistently meets or exceeds financial and/or other quantitative targets, and qualitative goals.
- Demonstrated experience successfully navigating complex market scenarios, rapidly changing payer/patient environments, market access barriers, etc.
- Demonstrated expertise in marketing to diverse customer segments, including physician, payer, and consumer.
- Good understanding of regulatory, market & payer dynamics in US. Knowledge of ex-US markets (e.g., EU, LATAM, APAC, etc.) is preferred
- Experience managing products through early life cycle development and commercialization
- Proven analytical capabilities; able to analyze financial and industry data related to sales, market share, price/volume, call activity, market research, etc. Must be able to maximize the value of investment in market research data by communicating analyses and making informed decisions.
- Ability to oversee a commercial operations department that is comprised of diverse functions and teams; must have the agility to operate as a general manager of a broad department with multiple team interdependencies
- Demonstrated ability to develop and promote high potential team members
- Proven ability to establish trust and leverage credibility and rapport with peers and company leadership across disciplines and levels
- A strong connection to the vision of the organization which is focused on bringing transformational therapies to patients with rare diseases
- A strong sense of entrepreneurship, with a pragmatic and can do attitude, favors a practical approach to matters, has a problem solving mind-set
- Excellent listening skills coupled with the capability to rapidly understand the key drivers of the business and the way the company operates.
- A strong sense of urgency, aiming for short term successes but without losing sight of the long term business objectives; balancing both short and long term requirements for the company.
- Able to mentor, motivate and contribute to the professional development of a diverse team, in terms of skillsets, personalities and location.
- A high level of integrity in all aspects of business.
- The ability to establish clear expectations, set objectives and bring together multiple parties to drive key initiatives and deliver exceptional results with a sense of urgency
- Ability to effectively collaborate in a dynamic environment and develop productive relationships with internal partners and external vendors
- BS/BA, preferably in Life Sciences; MBA or related graduate-level degree is preferred
VP – Sales, Exec. Director – Marketing, Exec. Director – Insights and Analytics, Sr. Director – National Accounts, Sr. Director – Patient Services
Key Relationships & Stakeholders:
SVP – Global Market Access, Advocacy & Public Policy, SVP/GM-Europe, SVP – Pharma Ops, VP – Medical Affairs, SVP – Scientific Affairs, SVP – Regulatory Affairs, VP – Clinical, VP – Compliance, Deputy General Counsel, VP – Finance, VP – Safety & Pharmacovigilance, VP – People & Technology